Monday, July 27, 2015

Weeds, potatoes, and peas

It's a constant fight against weeds, and there's only so much I can do.  So I routinely go out in the early morning and pull grass, weeds, and--unfortunately--the occasional vegetable plant (today I murdered a pea plant).  When I get tired, I tend to make those kind of mistakes.  But this one I could remedy, since it's still growing season for peas; I just planted another one.

The potato plants need to have hills of dirt built up around them.  I've done half, because that means digging up dirt and placing it around the plants, which is backbreaking work.


This morning I put up a trellis for the pea plants.  They do best when they can climb, and that makes it easier to weed (and not pull out the good plants with the bad!)





This afternoon I'll go out and take a photo to see if any of the plants have hooked on to the trellis.  Even in the short time I was out there doing other weeding I could see the pea plants straightening up and reaching for the string.


Here's a long view from the corn section


Potatoes, onions, beets, parsnips (hiding a bit under grass and weeds), turnips and rutabega.


I thinned out the radishes and these are for lunch.




We have tomatoes on the vine!  The broccoli are doing well.

Still waiting for beans, and the corn has not tasseled yet.  I replanted carrots at the end of the corn rows. The squash were showing signs of powdery mildew so I sprayed them and hilled them up a bit more.  No peppers yet; blossoms are just starting to come out.

Everything is slow because the garden got in so late, and a lot of things just didn't come up.

A big huge bee thought my hair was a place to get pollen, so I beat it out of there.


No comments:

Post a Comment