But I didn't like the water splashing down on the house and under the garage doors, so I took things into my own hands and climbed the big ladder to clean the gutters myself. That part was a great success!
BUT! There's always a but. The downspout on the north corner of the house drains into a tube that snakes underground to a point near the neighbor's cornfield. The part of the tube that connected to the downspout was cracked--so when I cleared the clog, water was spraying out of the cracks and running down near the foundation. Bad, bad, bad. I quickly dug a trench to divert the water away from the house.
Dad and Mom came over today to help with chores, and Dad and I replaced the cracked portion of the tube. Voila! Water drains the way it's supposed to.
But we weren't done yet. We pulled out one of the clothesline posts (the other defeated us; we didn't have the right tools).
The garden, sadly, still looks like this:
However, we now have two pear trees, one peach tree, and one sour cherry tree. I didn't get a chance to finish staking around them to keep deer out, because a rainstorm was coming--so I will finish that tomorrow. Instead, I draped the netting around as best as I could until I can get the stakes in.
We also have grapes! Tomato cages are a stopgap until tomorrow also.
This morning, and while we were working in the yard, the deer were snacking on soybeans.
Lastly, some pretty roses hidden under a thicket of raspberry vines. Time to get anti-bird netting!










No comments:
Post a Comment